Our NCBW 100 Bergen/Passaic Health Committee feels that Health is more than the absence of illness, it is a state of well being. We embrace a definition of health in its broadest form. Knowledge is the key. We educate and advocate for issues related to maintaining wellness, illness prevention, the recognition of health disparities, and the awareness of health related careers. The overall wellness of the African-American Woman and her family is our concern.
The National Coalition of 100 Black Women sponsored its 7th Annual Heart Healthy Wine Tasting on February 5, 2016 at Englewood Hospital & Medical Center in recognition of "Go Red for Women". The aim of the program was to educate the community on heart disease and its impact on women and the African-American community. The Heart Healthy discussion, focused on the "Many Faces of Heart Disease", included:
- Several video vignettes of women affected with heart diseases,
- A panel discussion, moderated by Dr. Paul Alexander, Vice President/Chief Medical Officer Government Programs; Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield New Jersey.
The panelists included:
- Dr. Marcus Williams, Cardiologist (“Living Heart Healthy”), who provided an overview of the symptoms and statistics associated with heart disease,
- Ms. Nkechi Fyle, Nutritionist (“Improving Your Diet for Your Heart's Health”), who discussed how to improve your diet for your heart's health, and
- Dr. Damyen Davis, Psychologist (“Stress Made Me Do It: The Impact of Stress and How to Manage It”), who provided ways to reduce stress and manage it.
Click here to read the bios of the panel participants.
- Testimonials from three heart disease survivors, who shared their personal experiences of dealing with heart disease and transplants.
The program also offered a wine tasting from several wineries, food tastings from local restaurants, and live music.
Click here to see the entire program.
This annual event was co-sponsored by Englewood Hospital & Medical Center and Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield New Jersey.
Click here for the event poster.
Pictured L to R: Dr. Paul Alexander, Nutritionist Nkechi Fyle, Health Chair Paula Madison Ryner, President Yvonne L. Witter, Dr. R. Marcus Williams, and Psychologist Dr. Damyen Davis
NCBW’s annual Heart Healthy Wine Tasting on February 6, 2015 was a tremendous success.
- Click here to see the program for the Heart Healthy Wine Tasting event, “A Woman’s Wellness Initiative”.
- Dr. Icilma Fergus (Associate Professor of Medicine and Director of Cardiovascular Disparities of Mount Sinai Medical Center) was the keynote speaker for the event.
January 2015 Newsletter - click